Thursday, August 23, 2012


Sunday, 12 August 2012
Day 14 riding

We finally got a (relatively early start): on the road by 7:45.  Two days in a row - we’re on a roll now!  I’m motivated by the distances we’re traveling each day.  I have no idea what Ian’s motivation is.  No matter what time I wake up and finally get out of my sleeping bag, he’s already ½ packed and drinking a cup of coffee.  One of these days I’ll be up (or at least ready) before him.

I was warned that the scenery here was a little dull.  I don’t agree.  (At least not yet.  Maybe after a couple of more weeks…)  I like the way the roadside grasses shimmy in the wind.  We’ve passed several mowers cutting back all the vegetation (probably because of the coming fire season).  Anyway, I love the smell of newly cut grass.  Between the smells and the sights, I’m loving this part of the country.

Something about the sign at Julia Creek butcher shop caught my eye.  Maybe it was the “country killed” part.  The working is more direct that I usually see.


This wanted sign struck me as funny.  Now I’ve got that Men At Work song stuck in my head “Traveling in a fried out combi…”


Ooooo, now THIS is no fried out combi



Ian kept wanting to race him.  We did finally pass about 15 minutes out of town.  I’m pretty sure he just let us by.

We stopped in Split Rock to take a break.  I didn't see a split rock, just the sign.


At least it gave me a chance to take a quick photo of the road we’d been on


And the road ahead


Here’s Ian checking his messages.  I just love the rich, rust colored earth.


The folks in Richmond told us about the rodeo in Mt. Isa.  It’s a pretty big deal and most of the population of the surrounding towns attend.  That made lodging seem unlikely (or at least very expensive).   So we pushed on to Camooweal.  It ended up being our long day riding so far (just over 525k / about 325 miles.  I 'm proud of Ian.  It's his first long trip and this was his first long day in the saddle.  I'm glad we both still had energy at the end of the day. 

There was a truck parked along the side of the road.  At last, I could take a picture of one of the many Road Trains we’ve passed (and been passed by!).  Some of them have more than three trailers, so they sure seem longer than 53.5 meters.


We walked to dinner at the local pub.  It was delicious!  Roast pork, gravy, oven roasted vegetables – YUM! 

No comments: