Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tuesday, 03 August 2010 – Seattle, WA to Cultus Lake, B.C. – 168.3 miles

I enjoyed another good night’s sleep thanks to Helaine’s cozy guest room. She and her daughter went on an early-morning errand. They returned home just as I finished packing all the gear back onto the scooter. Another quick good-bye and Helaine was off to work and I was off to REI. I just had to see the the original store and it did not disappoint: it really is beautiful. Has a waterfall and everything! I didn’t find anything that I couldn’t live without (or didn’t already have) but I did find some useful information about Alaska.

I was surprised to find a victory garden just down the block. The Cascade P Patch Community Garden is in the shadow of the Space Needle and a welcome sight amongst all the concrete, steel and glass.




Since I had a little time before my appointment at Big People Scooters, I rode through the city center, admired Paul Allen's building, the Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame. (Too bad there was not enough time to explore inside.)



I also happend to ride by Vespa of Seattle. Which one of these scooters is not like the other?


I arrive a little early for my appointment at Big People Scooters. It was nice to finally meet Viktor, Jeff and the gang. I was especially glad to meet and talk with Bill Hilbert. He’s an Alaska native who had lots of good tips and advice. Plus, he’s a heck of a nice man. Hope to see you again, Bill.

I ended up with two tires in addition to the oil change – so glad to have the coupon from the rally bag. Westender Scooter Club saves the day again. Thanks!

I left Seattle in time to experience their rush hour traffic. Thankfully, the HOV lane moved pretty well. I took the Mt. Baker Scenic Byway out of Bellingham and laughed when I saw this.


I arrived at Cultus Lake just before dark and made camp as quickly as I could. There were lots of energetic kids who didn’t share my desire for a good nights rest. Earplugs definitely helped.

No comments: